Monday, April 21, 2008

Bedrest Plea

As of Thursday my already reduced activity level has been further restricted to bedrest. I've been instructed to lie down unless using the shower, bathroom, or eating a meal.

We all knew this was a possibility, and to be fair this is a very different situation than my 1st pregnancy.
*Bedrest started at 26 weeks at the hospital with Claire. This time around I'm starting bedrest at 33 weeks at home.
*And I'm allowed my 3 upright privileges (yep, wasn't allowed to get out of bed for anything the 1st time around, at least not for a while).

All in all we are in much better position to have a not too early delivery. For those of you keeping track: full term is 40 weeks, I'm 33 weeks, Claire was born at 34 weeks 6 days. The closer to a 40 week delivery, the better chance for a healthy baby (and a better chance for fewer long-term health issues).

We have had lots of help the past few days -- my mom took off work, Ryan's parents hit town at the perfect time (Cousin Brynna's baptism was this weekend), and of course, lucky Ryan gets promoted from Super Dad to Super Duper Dad (in charge of any and all a 2 year old's upright needs....yep, that's a lot), Laundry Guy, Clean Up Guy, Errand Guy, official Sundae Maker, and about 1,000 other things. Oh, and he also still has to go to work.

We have had offers of help from friends and family -- thank you!!!! We are really hoping that my incompetent cervix gets a little more competent and that I can go back to being "restricted activity mom" rather than "bed rest mom". So here is where my plea comes in. And it sounds really selfish, but I feel like you will all understand. I have a doctor appt. tomorrow a.m., during which I hope it will be discovered that things aren't so bad, and that bedrest isn't really necessary -- so pretty please, think some good thoughts for us tomorrow! A slightly more vertical status will allow our entire family a lot more sanity!

Thanks to you all!

a photo of Princess Green Popsicle at her 32 week gestation ultrasound. Can you see the smile?

2 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Oh, Princess Green Popsicle, you are so sweet! Your big sister, Princess Pink Popsicle will take good care of you, just like your Auntie Cari took good care of your daddy when he was a baby. At the tender age of two, Auntie Cari decided that your daddy (when he was tiny, tiny) didn't want to sleep on the couch anymore one afternoon, so she dragged him off and slid him very nicely into his infant seat.

Do they still even have infant seats??

I am so happy for you ALL!
Blessings and hugs and kisses,
Auntie Mary Lou

PS Shannon....don't give Pink Princess any ideas! Don't read that to her!! LOL

Mary Lou said...

Shannon,
I missed the first part of the blog about your bedrest. It opened up to the US, and I just read down from there.
So,
I have a need to let you know, altho you already know, that I lift you every day, every morning under the warm desert sun, to the protection of God. I have prayed for a quiet uterus and an intact amnio sack. I pray for you all by name, and I also pray gratitude for your dear parents that have raised such a wonderful woman, wife, and mother. So, altho I didn't think good thoughts for your during your office visit, I had prayed for you.
Yup.
Did that morning.
And will every morning as long as I live.
Love and blessings, and may you feel the gentle comfort and support of your Savior's arms under you.
Hugs,
Mary Lou